Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Menu Plan: Simplicity


 photo credit:cosmic kitty/everystockphoto.com

 This week my focus with meals is simplicity. I'm gearing up for a big cooking/baking/freezing day to get a months' worth of breakfasts and lunches set aside for Jon. Below is my menu plan for this week.


Supper:
 - Garlic Scape Pesto over Egg Noodles with Caesar Salad
 - Lemon & Garlic Scape Salad with Radish Butter on Toasted Baguette
 - Radish Greens Soup (we really enjoyed this last week- reminded us of cream of broccoli soup)
 - Tossed Cold Noodle Salad with Sugar Peas and Spring Onions


How about you? What are you planning to make with your produce this week?

4 comments:

  1. We are just making chef salads, with all the lettuce and radishes. My wife sauteed/caramelized a lot of leeks, since we dont know what do to with so many of them. They went well on salads. They are very pungent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm, caramelized leeks sound tasty! I bet they would be really good in quiche too!

      Delete
  2. I plan on making a potato and leek frittata tomorrow and used last weeks leeks to make chicken braised in a creamy leek sauce. I also found a recipe for a leek gratin which I'm hoping to get a chance to try. I can't get enough of them!
    However, tonight I used my snow peas and lettuce to make a delicious but slightly outside-the-box salad. I think after a while we all start to get sick of the traditional salads so this mixes it up a bit. It's more like a warm side dish than a salad.
    I wanted to share the recipe with everyone else.


    Warm Snow Pea and Spring Lettuce Salad

    For this recipe I prefer to use a wok but any sauté pan will work also.
    Heat one tablespoon vegetable oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add trimmed snow peas and cook for approximately five minutes or until peas turn a deeper green and are slightly softened.
    Remove pan from heat and add washed and ripped lettuce. Stir for approximately one minute or until lettuce is warmed through and just starting to wilt.
    Transfer vegetables to a bowl and toss with your vinaigrette of choice. I used Trader Joe’s Champagne Vinaigrette.
    Sprinkle chopped scallions on top (greens only) and serve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that sounds delicious! I will have to give that a try this week. Thank you for posting the recipe!

      And the creamy leek sauce braised chicken sounds incredible!

      Delete